The man who died in a chemical incident at a Buffalo Wild Wings was identified as its general manager Friday, a day after the hazardous incident caused the restaurant to be evacuated in Burlington, Massachusetts.
Ryan Baldera, 32, was the man who died, Interim Burlington Fire Chief Michael Patterson said Friday. A source told had NBC10 Boston that he had a newborn child and was a “great guy loved by all at the restaurant.”
Baldera was overcome by fumes created in a chemical reaction that involved the cleaning product Super 8, a common cleaning product made of sodium hypochlorite, according to the Burlington Fire Department.
He died after being rushed to a nearby hospital in serious condition, firefighters said. Ten other people, including workers and customers, were hospitalized as well, complaining of difficulty breathing and burning eyes.
Several hours after the incident, Buffalo Wild Wings called it “horrific” in a statement that added the company was working with the Burlington franchise and local authorities during the investigation.
“We are shocked and saddened to learn of this horrific accident at our franchise-owned sports bar,” the statement said.
The Burlington restaurant was closed Friday while cleanup crews worked, but grief counselors were on hand to help employees cope.
The incident remains under investigation, including by the U.S. Occupational Safety and Health Administration. An OSHA representative said it will work to see if the workplace had violated any standards, in an inspection that can take up to six months.
This post was originally posted at http://www.necn.com/news/new-england/Buffalo-Wild-Wings-Manager-Dead-Chemical-Identified-564667571.html.