Some business owners and users of vape products were left blindsided by Gov. Charlie Baker’s announcement Tuesday that he had ordered a temporary ban on selling vaping related products.
“It looks like we’re going to potentially be laying a bunch of people off, which is really unfortunate,” said David Bershad, owner of Vape Daddy.
During a press conference Tuesday, Baker announced a four-month ban on the sale of vaping products, saying time was needed to study the health impacts of e-cigarettes and marijuana infused products.
The move came as Baker declared a public health emergency in the state due to severe lung disease associated with using the cigarettes and marijuana infused products.
Michigan and New York took measures earlier this month to ban flavored vaping products, and Rhode Island Gov. Gina Raimondo is expected to make a statement on vaping on Wednesday.
But Massachusetts is the first state to enact a widespread ban.
“I’m shocked because they are shutting down an entire industry,” said Stacy Portizky, who owns a vaping business.
“I understand they want to keep the kids from vaping, but there are adults who vape responsibly,” said customer Molly Gasnick. “It’s better than smoking — there is research out there that says it’s better than smoking — and I just think it’s unfair to punish everybody.
“You can smoke weed in Massachusetts but adults can’t vape? I think it’s very wrong.”
No move has been made federally; President Trump has indicated he would make some movement on the issue.
This post was originally posted at http://www.necn.com/news/new-england/Business-Owners-Blindsided-by-Vaping-Announcement-561309191.html.